Stacked Old World Sandwiches with Barely Bolognese
- 1 Jar Barely Bolognese
- 1 Large Eggplant
- 1/4 cup e.v. Olive Oil
- 1 lb Fresh Mozzarella
- 2 large Italian Sandwich Rolls
- 6 oz pitted Kalamata olives
- 8 oz fresh ground beef or tofu
- 2 links of spicy sausage
- Sea salt to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the eggplant and mozzarella into 8 thin slices (keep them as even as possible).
- Spread out eggplant on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until tops start to brown slightly; sprinkle with sea salt.
- Let the eggplant cool to room temperature (about 20 min).
- Remove spicy sausage from casing and sauté with ground beef until golden brown. Follow instructions on the jar of Barely Bolognese to create this homemade meat sauce.
- Generously spread fresh Bolognese sauce on both sides of the rolls.
- Layer eggplant, mozzarella, and olives on the bottom slice of the roll, alternating, ending up in 4 layers on each sandwich.
- Top the layers with the top side of the roll. Wrap the sandwiches tightly with plastic wrap (the goal is to press the sandwich down and et the ﬂavors
- A cook’s suggestion: place the wrapped sandwiches in a shallow roasting dish and place a cookbook or heavy skillet on top of the sandwiches
– or grill in the Panini maker (our favorite!)
- Cool for at least 4 hours, sandwiches can be left for up to 24 hours and serve at room temperature